Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Forum Member
OP Offline
Forum Member
M
In the CHARMM version of TIP3P, there are LJ parameters for both hydrogen and oxygen and usuall mixing rules are used to obtain cross LJ interaction with other molecules.

However, if I were to use the original TIP3P, there is no LJ interaction for the hydrogen atom. I wonder what is keeping the hydrogen atom on the water from collapsing into other atoms of opposite charges?

Forum Member
Online Content
Forum Member
LJ on water oxygen

Lennart Nilsson
Karolinska Institutet
Stockholm, Sweden
rmv Online Content
Forum Member
Online Content
Forum Member
Indeed, if you compare the O atom VDW radius, the H atom VDW radius, and the O-H bond length, you'll find that the H atom VDW sphere is actually completely inside the O atom sphere.

Rick Venable
computational chemist

Forum Member
Forum Member
And because the H's VdW sphere is entirely inside the O's VdW sphere, the L-J parameters on the H have a negligible effect on bulk phase properties. They're there only for practical purposes. Specifically, without them (and if SHAKE is not in use), it's not unthinkable that during a simulation with an anionic solute, a hydrogen atom would get so close to the solute's negatively charged center X that the H-X electrostatic attraction would become stronger than the O-H bond stretching potentials, causing the simulation to crash because of electrostatic catastrophe.
Edit 2: this is somewhat of a moot point, however, because TIP3P was originally conceived as a rigid water model, so SHAKE should be in use, which rules out the scenario outlined above. In theory, it's still possible for a negative center to penetrate the oxygen's L-J sphere far enough to make the electrostatic energy go to minus infinity, thereby overriding the L-J repulsion, but I wonder what the odds are that this would happen in practice.

Edit 1: A similar question has been answered before. I'm starting to thing we should have a "CHARMM FAQ" somewhere... frown

Last edited by Kenno; 03/17/10 08:09 PM.
rmv Online Content
Forum Member
Online Content
Forum Member
It should be noted that TIP3P is a rigid model, so SHAKE should be used to conform fully to the model. Bulk phase properties change if you omit the SHAKE command.

Rick Venable
computational chemist

Forum Member
Forum Member
I was just thinking the same thing when re-reading my own post, hence the edit. grin

Moderated by  alex, lennart, rmv 

Link Copied to Clipboard