Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26357 - 01/28/11 07:28 PM Merge silicate with protein parameters
gianluca Offline
Forum Member

Loc: Seattle, WA and Zürich, Switze...
I would like to calculate the interaction energy between a protein and a quartz surface. For that I have created the quartz surface as in the example in the folder "toppar/silicates". Now, I need to merge the topology and parameters of silicates with those of amino acids. For this I do:

-----------------------------------------------
! { Read protein topology }
OPEN READ UNIT 2 CARD NAME top_all22_prot.inp
READ RTF CARD UNIT 2
CLOSE UNIT 2

! { Read silicates topology }
open read formatted unit 2 name top_silicates.inp
read rtf card unit 2 append
close unit 2

! { Read protein parameters }
OPEN READ UNIT 2 CARD NAME par_all22_prot.inp
READ PARAM CARD UNIT 2
CLOSE UNIT 2

! { Read silicates parameters }
open read formatted unit 2 name par_silicates.inp
read para card unit 2 append
close unit 2
-----------------------------------------------

I renumbered the masses in top_silicates.inp so that they do not overwrite the masses in the protein topology file and I also deleted RESI TIP3P and the corresponding atoms from par_silicates.inp in order to avoid a conflict with the TIP3P defined in par_all22_prot.inp. Is this procedure correct?

After this, I load the PSF and PDB of the quartz surface and then I try to generate the PSF of my protein:

! { Read sequence of the protein }
OPEN UNIT 1 READ CARD NAME ./protein.pdb
READ SEQUENCE PDB UNIT 1
CLOSE UNIT 1

! { Generate the psf structure }
GENERATE PROT FIRST ACE LAST CT3 WARN SETUP

Here, I receive the errors:

<CODES>: No atom parameters for atom 1 type 108
<CODES>: No atom parameters for atom 2 type 107
<CODES>: Total number of atoms with no paramter: 2592
<CODES>: No angle parameters for 1 ( CAL CAL )
<CODES>: And more missing angle parameters.
<CODES>: A TOTAL OF20067 MISSING PARAMETERS

I have no CAL in my protein! However, if I set "bomlev -2", it continues and produces a correct PSF/PDB of surface+protein. I am even able to perform a steepest descent minimization and all seems fine. However, I keep getting warnings about missing bond and angle parameters for CAL and MG. Is what I'm doing still correct? My final goal is to perform Monte Carlo simulations where I rotate the protein (stiff) on the surface in order to find the energetically most favorable orientation and distance with respect to the surface.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated!

#26358 - 01/28/11 08:06 PM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: gianluca]
rmv Online   content

Forum Member

Loc: 39 03 48 N, 77 06 54 W
After changing the integer atom parameter numbers for the MASS statements, you must make a new PSF for the silicate, using the modified topology file. It's not clear that you've done that.

You should probably be using PSF+COOR instead of PSF+PDB

#26359 - 01/28/11 09:06 PM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: rmv]
gianluca Offline
Forum Member

Originally Posted By: rmv
After changing the integer atom parameter numbers for the MASS statements, you must make a new PSF for the silicate, using the modified topology file. It's not clear that you've done that.

I have not done it. I will do it. Thanks!

#26360 - 01/29/11 02:21 AM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: rmv]
gianluca Offline
Forum Member

Thank you! Everything works now. I don't get any more the error messages and I no longer need "BOMBlev -2".

I have another question though. Is it easy to modify crystal.img to take into account the presence of the protein? I am using the same crystal.img and setup as in the test.inp file in the "toppar/silicates" folder. Obviously, I get during minimization a lot of warnings that the protein atoms are too close to the quartz surface.

Do I need images to perform rigid body Monte Carlo simulations?

Thank you!

#26365 - 01/29/11 05:24 PM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: gianluca]
lennart Online   content

Forum Member

Loc: ~ 59N, 15E
"no longer need bomlev -2" - bomlev -2 is NEVER part of a correct procedure.

#26367 - 01/29/11 06:02 PM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: lennart]
gianluca Offline
Forum Member

Originally Posted By: lennart
"no longer need bomlev -2" - bomlev -2 is NEVER part of a correct procedure.

I have been wondering how come that "bomlev -2" is set at the beginning of test.inp in the folder "toppar/silicates". But I totally agree with you. Thanks for pointing this out.

Edited by gianluca (01/29/11 06:04 PM)

#26368 - 01/29/11 07:16 PM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: gianluca]
rmv Online   content

Forum Member

I've never really looked at the silicates subdir, or even unpacked the .tar.gz archive until now. It looks like one could adjust the values in param.str to change the system size; changing the value for Z might help. You can also extend the slab in the xy plane by adjusting n and m values.

You need images to have an infinite quartz slab, and this approach uses image patches, so the slab edges may be ill-defined w/o images and the image patches. The protein is also subject to the image transformations, so you may need a bigger slab, such that protein is not interacting with image copies of itself

(Almost never, anyway. The exceptions are very rare, but I'm aware of 2 cases where one must use bomlev -2; normal modes of larger molecules in VIBRAN, and reading trajectory files out of sequence. Perhaps these two cases should be downgraded to -1.)

#26372 - 01/30/11 12:13 AM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: rmv]
gianluca Offline
Forum Member

Oh right! I missed the Z. I set it to 200 and now it's working!

I wonder whether if you make the slab large enough, the protein might not experience the ill defined edges.

Right, until now I have only used bomlev -2 to read trajectory files out of sequence. I was surprised to see it in a test file. They probably forgot to take it out. That's why I first thought that I have to use it, too.

I want to perform a Monte Carlo simulation with protein+quartz surface and I wonder whether the following parameters are correct for nonbonded interactions:

nbonds atom shift rdie vdw vswitch -
cutnb 16 ctofnb 12 ctonnb 10 wmin 1.5 eps 2.0

If I do a SD minimization with these values, the slab expands in the z direction. If I use:

nbonds atom fshift cdie vdw vshift -
cutnb 16 ctofnb 12 ctonnb 10 wmin 1.5 eps 1.0

the slab keeps its shape. However, I might want to use a distant dependent dielectric. What are the best values?

Thanks

Edited by gianluca (01/30/11 12:14 AM)

#26377 - 01/30/11 01:15 PM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: gianluca]
rmv Online   content

Forum Member

Both SHIFT and RDIE are bad choices and should not be used.

If you ignore the parts about the IPS method, the RECOMMENDED: section in nbonds.doc is still essentially correct.

If you can't use Ewald, use FSWITCH or FSHIFT for electrostatics. For the VDW term, VSWITCH or VFSWITCH are recommended.

The ill-defined edges have unsatisfied connectivity from implied bonds; the protein is not relevant to that.

#26381 - 01/30/11 03:56 PM Re: Merge silicate with protein parameters [Re: rmv]
gianluca Offline
Forum Member

Originally Posted By: rmv

The ill-defined edges have unsatisfied connectivity from implied bonds; the protein is not relevant to that.

For my Monte Carlo moves, I leave the surface stiff. I only need it for electrostatics and VDW evaluation between protein and surface. If I keep the center of mass of the protein above the center of the surface, the edges should not matter, should they?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  alex, chmgr